M.2 Nvme SSD for HP z420 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M.2 Nvme SSD for HP z420 Issues

Hello, I do decently well with computers but I have been having trouble with my HP z420. I have been trying to get my m.2 NVME SSD to run off of the motherboard but when I try to do it on one of my pcie cards I own it will not read or recognize that the SSD is on the motherboard, and then I have another card that when I use it on the motherboard on start up it will boot the computer for a second and instantly turn off. Now I have read a lot of forum articles and a lot say that the motherboard is too old or that you have to install updates to the motherboards BIOS and I have done updates but it hasn't helped. Yet somehow I'm able to run the OS from an SSD Enclosure but the only bad part is that it doesn't work on USB 3.0 it only works on 2.0. I was just hoping I could get some help on why it won't work because I'm pretty sure there is some way to get it to work. I hope I was clear enough in my question and any help is appreciated!!

Originally posted by AquaVoid View Post
    Hello, I do decently well with computers but I have been having trouble with my HP z420. I have been trying to get my m.2 NVME SSD to run off of the motherboard but when I try to do it on one of my pcie cards I own it will not read or recognize that the SSD is on the motherboard, and then I have another card that when I use it on the motherboard on start up it will boot the computer for a second and instantly turn off. Now I have read a lot of forum articles and a lot say that the motherboard is too old or that you have to install updates to the motherboards BIOS and I have done updates but it hasn't helped. Yet somehow I'm able to run the OS from an SSD Enclosure but the only bad part is that it doesn't work on USB 3.0 it only works on 2.0. I was just hoping I could get some help on why it won't work because I'm pretty sure there is some way to get it to work. I hope I was clear enough in my question and any help is appreciated!!
    So you said that you updated the BIOS, how old is your computer? It sounds like it was around in 2011. I looked up your computer on the net, are you running Windows 7, or Windows 10? I read where it says that your computer is compatible with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. I found an article that might help you with your problem.
    Hi! I have an HP Z420 workstation. I would like to upgrade it but need to make sure that if this pc is compatible with SATA M.2 or NVMe M.2 SSD. Or should I use SATA 3 SSD?   I'll appreciate your suggestions.   Thanks in advance...

Comment

Thanks for the link there are a lot of varying answers so it's hard to find one that will work specifically for my model it could be a 2012 model, I think its around the 2015 year v2 mobo although I'm not since it doesn't work with NVMEs, but, I really appreciate your help jboldeniv.

Comment

Working...
      X